Islamia College Peshawar—the Inception

Submitted by Shams Uddin on Wed, 2008-07-02 12:24.
Shams Uddin's picture
Islamia College Peshawar—the Inception

Islamia College Peshawar was opened for students in 1913. By then there were three types of school in the area—those maintained by endowments and gifts, those established and run privately but aided by the Government and last but not least, those maintained by the government through local boards.

Islamia College Peshawar is the brain child of Sahibzada Sir Abdul Qayum Khan and Sir George Roose-Keppel. The idea was further strengthened by their visit to the Aligarh Muslim University the same year, where the muslim students gave Sahibzada a donation for the purpose of a student hostel, hall or any better project. Sahibzada arranged a meeting of like minded people on April 12, 1911 at the residence of Abdul Karim, contractor at Peshawar City, which was attended by K.S. Ghulam Haider Khan, Habibullah Khan, Khushal Khan, Sethi Karim Bakhsh, Sahibzada Abdul Qayyum and others. Sahibzada moved the motion for collection of contributions, which was instantly responsed to by cash donations by all present. In addition to his instant cash donation, the Nawab of Dir promised further cash beside four hundred trees. Subscriptions were also given by the Afridi Chiefs and leading religious elders. An example was set by Bibigul, widow of Khairullah Khan of Prang, who gave her ornaments on Jun 6, 1911 as her subscription towards college fund. Subsequently, a large plot of land was purchased for the college building from the Khalils of Tehkal.

Haji Sahib of Turangzai laid the foundation stone of the college, whilst Roose Keppel and other Britishers were also there for the occasion. After laying the stone Haji Sahib went to Tehkal. The construction work, which was started in the second half of the year 1912, showed remarkable progress in completion. The programme of construction included an Arts college, a Dar-ul-Uloom, and hostel, a high school and three hostels, a mosque, and residences for the principal and Headmaster. High School, which consisted of 26 rooms and one school hostel, were ready before the spring of 1913; and the building before the 1st of October of that year.

The college was opened on October 1st 1913 and students were admitted for the first year and third year classes only. The first student to get enrolled in the college was Sahibzada Khurshid, who later became the Governor of NWFP in 1949. At the close of the year, the number of enrollment had reached 33. Initially, the college had ten members of teaching staff, one clerk, one accountant, and two hostels, i.e., Qaiyum Manzil and Hardinge Hostel. Mr. L. Tipping was the first Principal. Allama Mashriqi was the vice principal and the professor of mathematics, and Maulana Qutb Shah as the Dean of Theology. Besides the physical beauty of the college, Sahibzada Sahib was very particular about its academic standard and was very careful in appointing any new professor or teacher. For this purpose, he was always in search of learned and well educated people. After the sad demise of Sir Sahibzada Abdul Qayum in 1937, the college was left more or less as an orphan in the hands of others.

However, the college survived the ups and downs of the coming year, facing the opposition of those who were so, even during the life time of Sahibzada Sahib, with the only difference that he was no longer there to bear the brunt.

Text: Coutesy Wikipedia Free Encyclodaedia


login to post comments | thumbnail | original | 13084 reads